Thursday, December 9, 2010

Why I Don't Recycle Part 2: Nature? I hardly knew her!


I thought it was only appropriate to have my first opinion-based blog post be an elaboration on my last facebook wall post, where I mentioned as an example how I am morally opposed to recycling.  Unfortunately, I soon realized that I had a lot more to say about this subject than I thought, so I'm going to break this post down into four posts to make it easier to read.  You can check back here over the next four days to read it in chunks in order to prevent you, dear reader, from looking at six pages worth of material and saying "fuck that shit".  As always, feel free to comment.

First, I feel like I should apologize for that terrible excuse for a post title joke.  In all fairness, I'm an idiot.  Anyway, now for a major point in my argument that I realized about 2 years ago; a point that no one has really countered yet seems hesitant to agree with me.  It’s the argument to end all “appeals to nature”, which in of itself is a vastly flawed argument.  In keeping up with my lazy-man style armchair philosopher, I will unabashingly quote the definition from its Wikipedia article, saving me the trouble of putting it in my own words.   Appeal to nature is a fallacy of relevance consisting of a claim that something is good or right because it is natural, or that something is bad or wrong because it is unnatural or artificial. In this type of fallacy, nature is often implied as an ideal or desired state of being, a state of how things were, should be, or are: in this sense an appeal to nature may resemble an appeal to tradition.  It’s a terrible argument in the first place because: “Several problems exist with this type of argument that makes it a fallacy. First, the word "natural" is often a loaded term, usually unconsciously equated with normality, and its use in many cases is simply a form of bias. Second, "nature" and "natural" have vague definitions and thus the claim that something is natural may not be correct by every definition of the term natural; a good example would be the claim of all-natural foods, such as "all-natural" wheat, the claimed wheat though is usually a hybridized plant that has been bred by artificial selection.  Lastly, the argument can quickly be invalidated by a counter-argument that demonstrates something that is natural that has undesirable properties (for example aging, illness, and death are natural), or something that is unnatural that has desirable properties (for example, many modern medicines are not found in nature, yet have saved countless lives).”  Yet people will still use this argument to justify their opinions regardless, whether it is an argument for “natural” foods by hippies or for “natural” marriage by the religious.  So to make this already flawed argument even more useless, I posit a question to those who make statements about what is natural or not: What the fuck is unnatural?
The term unnatural usually applies to three things: artificially made objects and outcomes like a building or a drought caused by a man-made dam; the supernatural like ghosts; and things that are the opposite of the norm like homosexuality.  First off, let’s get the irrelevant supernatural point out of this discussion because it’s mostly used in reference to things that are either natural laws yet to be discovered by man or the rantings of crazy people.   As for the other two- what exactly is unnatural?  An ax?  It’s made out of wood and stone from “nature”.  The White House?  Stone, wood, mortar, glass (made from sand, and totally found in “nature” sometimes too), etc.  The computer you’re reading this on?  Minerals, metals, plastic, electricity, all found in or harvested from “natural” products.  Ok, fine, how about the fact that they were made by humans, and not just created for “natural” reasons like survival and reproduction but stupid shit like Snuggies and plush Pikachu dolls?  Oh, you mean the humans that evolved from the same puddle of lipids and RNA molecules like every other living thing on this earth?  The tool use that plenty of animals and arguably plants have exhibited?  Or the complicated desires that humans have built up over the thousands of years of Homo sapiens evolution?  
"Complicated" would be a good way to describe
my own Snuggie-related desires.

What part of that is unnatural?  It’s not like a dimensional rift opened up one day and granted us extra-dimensional materials, knowledge, or ideas.  Some biblical god or gods didn’t one day bless us with extra-natural powers.  Our continued survival, technical knowledge, and need to paint ourselves arbitrary colors to support a group of men throwing a ball of swine skin around a field of painted grass are the outcomes of the natural processes of evolution, time, and luck.  Our needs, no matter how complex, are simply instincts made unusual over time and evolution.  And even the things that may not be the norm, or majority, in a collected population sample, like homosexuality, is not caused by anything not already found in nature.  Tools, human thought, and society are all natural.  And unless you’ve had personal contact with extra-dimensional beings, I challenge you to think of anything unnatural.  There is no unnatural.  There is only nature.  The appeal to nature is irrelevant.
So without the appeal to nature, the question of whether or not to protect “nature” is neutralized.  The loggers cutting down a forest are a natural occurrence, as is the protestors chaining themselves to the tree to save its life.   Which side you stand depends entirely on your personal choice, and shouldn’t be beholden to anyone else’s moral standpoint.

9 comments:

  1. hate to keep being the nay-sayer, but this is a fail on two accounts:

    1. undercuts your first argument, namely that extinctions are natural.

    2. recycling is not an appeal to nature. it's not natural to recycle, yet it is verifiable that it benefits nature in that less landfills are beneficial not only to nature but to the overall health of the general populous (less run off, smell, and noise pollution, etc). same with logging which you've used. it's generally accepted that clear-cutting is bad for the land and for business vs. sustainable tree-farming and selective cutting.

    oh, and the word verification is "efail" so even blogger is against you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ignore the "No, they don't" sentence above. I forgot to move it when structuring my post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Chris, I (&)(&()((*^%$%$ hate this blog. I spend an hour typing a response to you, and it disappeared when I added the edit in a next post.
    I'm done. Good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol sorry Mary? I've had many similar situtations occur in my life too, especially when sending people a facebook message which accidentally gets deleted when someone facebook chats me. Now I always copy the text of any post/message I'm about to send before I send it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Luke, I understand my problem(s) here, as Kim pointed out to me. Blogs should be short and sweet, starting with an idea first and then backed up, with responsive comments to commentors fleshing out the argument. Not only did I write way too much, but I structured it terribly. First off, if I posted all 6 pages at once I would be worried then noone would want to read it all at once, but now I realize splitting it up means that the reader creates assumptions about the first posts that are incomplete without the later posts. I haven't mentioned yet why I don't recycle; the specific act of recycling was not being discussed in the first two posts at all. Secondly, I tend to write (and think) in this stream-of-conscious-y dialouge where I start by arguing with my imaginary opponent on a point-by-point basis, first countering their initial argument, then their next logical counter argument, etc. All together, the conversation of this essay would go something like this, with my opponent being an average person with moderate to above-average intelligence who follows the ascendant moral values of our current society, which is "looting and polluting, is not the way, hear what Captain Planet has to say" (and I'm resisting the urge now to immediately counter-act the natural point of "but the majority of our society doesn't hold going green as a moral value" because as Kim said that's terrible blog structuring. Only one point at a time):

    (my strawman's voice with be in CAPS, not to make him look bad, but to differentiate his and my arguments.

    "MODERN HUMANS ARE REALLY DESTROYING THE ENVIRONMENT AND WE'RE REALLY RUNNING OUT OF SUPPLIES, WE'RE SO EVIL AND DESTRUCTION. STUPID BIG BUSINESS"

    "Actually you're alarmism is unwarranted. A look at earth's history shows that the "natural way" of "nature" that I know you think is so pure and right is actually filled with death and destruction not only by simple, non-modern humans but by other life forms, and the earth always bounces back"

    "MAYBE, BUT CERTAINLY MODERN TECHNOLOGY AND POLLUTION IS UNNATURAL, AND HASTENING THE SPEED OF ECOLOGICAL DAMAGE IN A VERY UNNATURAL WAY"

    "Ok, well while we're on topic, what the fuck does natural mean anyway? Nothing, a smokestack is a "naturally" occurring phenomenon. Stop trying to decide what's best for nature and decide what you think is the most appealing ecological outcome"

    "WELL FINE, I PICK MINIMIZING DEATH AND EXTINCTION FOR HUMANS, AS WELL AS ALL THE PLANTS AND ANIMALS OUTTHERE! WHAT WOULD YOU, PERSONALLY, FEEL IS MORE APPEALING THEN THAT?"

    "List of several reasons from today's (12/10) post"

    "FAIR ENOUGH, YOU SOCIOPATH. WELL HOW ABOUT THESE VERY VALID COUNTER ARGUMENTS TO YOUR ENTIRE ESSAY"

    "My post for tomorrow (12/11) which consists of my responses, with either valid counter-counter arguments or begrudging acceptance of your opinion. Also, the first mention of recycling, which is used as an example. Also, Gurren Lagann references."

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you can see, I'm basically writing in response to an unspoken argument. Also, this is a terrible idea for a 4 part blog post unless I want to make my readers misunderstand my sentiments. Finally, and the biggest problem I have here, clearly, is my choice of post title. I choose "Why I Don't Recycle" because a)I thought that such a statement is a good attention grabber, and b)recycling is such a good example of environmentalism in our society, because it is a very simple yet very real quantifiable action in black and white (you either do or do not, there is no halfway recycle) and its the sole act environmental good will that most of our peers participate in on a daily basis, and c)it's one of the few ways I can enact my moral policies, because I'm probably not going to go out and become a Captain Planet villian. I should have just called this essay "Why I Consider the Morality of Modern Environmentalist Mindset Shared by a Majority of my Peers is Vastly Flawed".

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for your ACTUAL comment Luke, I totally agree with you on the first thing. With my argument that the term "natural" comprises of everything, ever, my first post is irrelevant to me and anyone who would agree. I just hate alarmism in almost any subject, and even if someone were to disagree with me on the rest of my opinions, at the very least I want them to shut the fuck up about the end of the world. We're fine, or at least the earth is.

    Secondly, what exactly is unnatural about recycling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. > "I spend an hour typing a response to you, and it disappeared"
    Two words: Backups: notepad

    > "it's not natural to recycle"
    You sir, have glossed over a very important point. If recycling is not natural, then what is "The Carbon Cycle"? Ever heard of "you are what you eat"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry for the poor word choice on my part. let me clarify: recycling is not an appeal to nature. i don't find the arguments of recycling to find that meme because the benefits of recycling are verifiable that it benefits nature in the aforementioned ways.

    i don't like alarmism either. yet i also don't like absurd reactions to alarmists which is what i see you doing. you're treating a symptom, not the cause. it'd be akin to me not shopping at Best Buy because i don't like NASCAR. it's somewhat related as Best Buy sponsors a car and driver but it really doesn't deal with the root of my problem which is i don't like rednecks and think watching cars run around in a circle for hours on end is a waste of gas and time.

    i don't see that there is any good reason not to recycle. it's too easy and too beneficial. i don't think we're fine as a species and i think the earth will bounce back from what we're doing to it, however, there are dire things going on, like in the fact that Australia is drying up and many farmers who've worked the same piece of land are now in a dust bowl.

    i don't like the alarmist stuff going on, but i see the benefits of sustainable and renewable energy too good of an idea to let a few crazies ruin it.

    ReplyDelete