Friday, January 21, 2011

Humbling Narcissism

I was thinking about naming my blog The Humbled Narcissist, and this was to be the post explaining it.  It's been a crazy 3 weeks so let this post be a placeholder for awhile.

I’ve always had a major problem with narcissism.  Google search my name and one of the first hits that come up is an old facebook group based on my narcissism, created by one of my friends in college.  My favorite subject to draw or paint is myself.  My wife often chides me for preening in the mirror while we’re talking.  Honestly, I tend to think outside of the box on subjects that no one bothers to think outside the box on, mostly because I only care about things that no one else seems to care about.  So while I’m only an average student and a less than average responsible adult, I often end up feeling superior to other people because they’re much less intellectually developed in the impractical subjects I care about.  Honestly, I just love ME, how insanely quirky I am, and how I’m just soooo much more advanced than other people.  But since I’m so “advanced”, I’m also smart enough to know that I’m not actually better than people at all, thus I have tried to dampen my narcissism throughout the last decade with varying degrees of success.
I would say there were three key things in my life that have helped me keep my egotism in check.  Most importantly is my core belief system, which is essentially that no one can be 100% sure of any truth, no matter how objective it may seem.  This has been built up from a variety of sources over the years, from the conversation that led me to abandon organized religion a second time, to Dogma, to Rorschach’s defining moment of nihilism in Watchmen, to the closing monologue of Michael Crichton’s book The Lost World, to the famous “I think, therefore I am” statement by Rene Descartes.  So I try to always remind myself that while thought experiments are fun and are what makes us human, academic pursuits are essentially for shits and giggles and I should never take my life and my ideas too seriously.  Another moment of my life that helped to humble me was a discussion I had with a college friend who was much smarter and much more eccentric then me.  One day we were discussing rational debates, not actually having a debate mind you, but discussing the activity.  I was mentioning my trouble debating with people because I will often “clearly” be right and logical yet my opponent still won’t agree with me, which would then cause me lose it and start sarcastically becoming a strawman of my own argument out of spite.  He told me that it’s literally impossible to change someone’s mind in a debate.  The pride of most people is great enough that they will refuse to accept your opinion at that moment no matter how logical and objective you are.  At best, they will hear what you say and agree with you later in private, but it’s foolish to think they will ever change their mind on the spot.  He then made a funny face and bopped me on the nose.  What this crazy person said was right though, and truly affected the way I approached intellectual discussions from then on; I’m proud to say that I’ve been able to keep a cool head during discussions with even the most moronic people in recent years and treat them with the respect that their humanity demands.  Finally, what should have been the last nail in the coffin of my vanity was something my therapist told me (yes, I took advantage of the free therapy that most colleges offer at the behest of my then girlfriend now wife--- it wasn’t that life-changing but it was nice, I recommend it).  When I mentioned my problems with narcissism and how I just can’t stand it when people won’t convert to my “correct” way of thinking she told me “that’s not narcissism, that’s delusion.”  That hit me hard, and finally got me to start treating my own opinions as subjective.  After that discussed, I truly felt cured.  Aaaaaaand that lasted for about 4 months. 
See, I took a class on evolution my next semester, one that focused not only on its detailed mechanisms but on the social controversy it presents in America.  And while it cemented my love of evolutionary biology that my earlier courses had started, it also brought narcissism back into my life.  I mean really, is there a battle more black and white than between science and creationists?  Evolution is undisputable scientific fact, and creationists/intelligent designists are not only working off a faulty science and laughable religious dogma, but are actively trying to unethically and unconstitutionally trying to take science out of science class and insert religious philosophy.  They even have an organization with a conspiracy plan to gradually make this a Christian nation (the Discovery Institute and “The Wedge”, respectively) that rival a certain sci-fi based cult in sneaky, underhanded tactics (by the way, I’m not the type to believe in conspiracy theories, this shit is real and documented in the courts, look it up).  So while I did find a social cause for my life (protecting science in the classroom and teaching people evolutionary truth), my narcissism was sparked up again.  With such a seemingly objective “right” side to belong to, the possibility for objective truths was opened up again to me.  Since then I’ve been taking up study philosophy and trying to find some sort of one philosophy to live my life by.  Recently though I had an epiphany when I realized how far I’ve fallen back down the trap of thinking objectively.  I’m now in this state of trying to balance myself and my mind, between practicing nonattachment to any feeling of objective truths without becoming apathetic towards a quest for scientific and philosophical enlightenment.  It seems that a moderate stance is the best way to view most things in this world, from politics to philosophy.  However, I can’t seem to stay in that middle gray area, instead I just teeter back and forth between shortsighted textbook beliefs and the complete insanity of true solipsism.   How am I supposed to practice non-attachment without being apathetic?  I’ve been recommended to check out Daoism in regards to this, something I totally intend to do when I can stop playing Pokémon for two seconds.
Here’s an xkcd comic that encapsulates my dilemma in a nutshell.  All rights go to the great and glorious Randall Monroe at xkcd comics.
Atheists
 The alt-text reads “’But you’re using that same tactic to try to feel superior to me too!’ ‘Sorry, that accusation expires after one use per conversation.’”

This is my problem!  I often feel superior to people because I’ll look at both sides of an argument, or I’ll feel superior because I know that a wise man knows that he knows nothing.  But then I’m just being smug again. A commenter in the forum post of this comic said it best: 

"My problem--and I'm guessing I'm not the only one--is that, no matter what the subject (religion, politics, philosophy) I always worry that I only believe what I believe in an attempt to feel superior to others, and when I catch myself doing that, I worry that I'm not really correcting myself, I'm just tricking myself into thinking that I'm correcting myself in order to feel even more superior. Then once I realize I'm in that cycle, I feel bad about feeling superior about getting myself out of the cycle.

Sorry if it seems like I'm just saying this to seem superior to everyone else, or if I'm just stating the obvious, but this is something that keeps me up at night. I should probably take a break from attempting to think about stuff, since I'm clearly not very good at it."


 How do I break this endless cycle of humbling narcissism?  I don’t know, but I hope to figure it out while I use this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Ben Franklin would keep a "virtue diary" where he would focus on a virtue like thriftiness, courage, etc, during a few weeks and track his progress. after a few years of doing this he wrote that all this practice had been for naught. "It doesn't matter which virtue I work on, for pride is still there. Even when I work on humility, I take a secret pride that I am humble." he wrote.

    this is the paradox of living. while we are humble we are still selfish, and in our selfishness altruism can break through. go figure. lots of Christian scholars wrote on this, i would steer you towards Voltaire's "The Philosophical Dictionary Religion Entry" and Reinhold Neihbur's discussion on the Fall, and interesting and much maligned and misunderstood doctrine of Christianity that maybe of help to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your insightful rant reminded me of this joke.

    "They had a meeting for functional families and only 2 showed up. They were both in denial"

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "How am I supposed to practice non-attachment without being apathetic?"

    What is your definition of non-attachment?
    Throughout your life you will always have at least one attachment: your life. Don't let go of that one.
    Everything except your personality and who you are is free to let go. Use those as tools to figure out the difficult questions like "How can I be sure of any conclusion if I cannot be sure of my observation?" My answer: I'll do my best. If I fail, I'll get to learn something!

    To answer your question directly: don't be apathetic. Why do you like studying evolution? Is it that it brings you joy or does it justify "I'm studying evolution so I can shit on narrow-minded ignorants".
    It's kind of like how I like watching hipsters' eyes roll to the back of their heads when I start talking about Security Enhanced Linux and why IPv6 is the best thing next to spiked pumpkin eggnog. But that's not really why I do it.
    I spend hours reading technical manuals because I have a desire to earn a Red Hat (Linux) Engineer Certification, which will greatly assist in my desire to become a system administrator. [edit] I want to do that because from what I've experienced so far, it's an immense amount of fun. [/edit]
    If I can do that, I can die happy: that's an attachment I can live with, and it's ok if I fail.
    Hope this helps.
    edit: Also, why can't I just edit a comment? Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke: a virtue diary huh.... while its comforting to know that Franklin had this problem too and couldn't fix it, a virtue diary is a pretty good idea, and would be a great tool for a virtue ethicist to apply to their everyday life. I should try it.

    Rob:That's a great question about evolution, because that reminds me of something I decided about myself a few months ago which totally fits in with this. I questioned myself whether my life goal at the end of college, teaching kids evolution at the high school level the right way and defending high school level science from creationism, was contradictory to my most important core philosophy, which is neither I or anyone else can be totally certain of any objective truths. And while evolution is certainly a better idea to parade around since the scientific method backs it up like WHOA, is it really right to crusade for teaching children a specific set of knowledge, even if I'm probably right? We could all be in the Matrix in a world created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and would have no way to prove otherwise, and Occam's Razor isn't always right. So I did a little soul-searching (read as: brain searching) and realized that the core reason I want to teach science is because it's cool and I want to talk about it and show others how cool it is. I couldn't reduce my idea of "cool" to anything else.

    I think that "cool-ness" might be a real entity in my mind, something that is beautiful and pure in the way that it is so unique to me and completely unattached to moral, political, or philosophical ideals. I've always done what I thought was cool my whole life, even when I knew that my classmates thought it wasn't, and this has extended to my adult life with my love of my scooter despite the laughs I get. Maybe I should strive towards that in my life.

    ReplyDelete